WV Youth Leadership Forum 2022
The WV Youth Leadership Forum (YLF) is a statewide training and leadership development event for students (Delegates) with all types of disabilities, high school juniors & seniors and college freshmen, who are transitioning to adulthood. The YLF will be held virtually June 20-24, 2022.
The YLF will provide a variety of activities, learning opportunities, and a chance to make new friends. Learn about the history of disability and the disability rights movement in America, national leaders, and your place in the movement and disability culture. Be a part of something much bigger than yourself! Twenty-five youth (Delegates) will be selected to attend the YLF - at no cost - make sure you are one of them!
YLF 2022 Application
The West Virginia Youth Leadership Forum (YLF) is the first YLF for youth with disabilities in our state and we want you to be a part of it!!!
The YLF is for high school juniors & seniors and college freshmen with ALL types of disabilities including physical, cognitive, learning, psychiatric, sensory, emotional/behavioral, etc. This innovative and exciting program, limited to 25 young adults with disabilities, will include:
- • Four virtual fun filled but educational days of leadership and advocacy skills training
• Opportunities to meet and interact with West Virginia leaders with and without disabilities
• Chance to make new friends
• Opportunity to learn your rights as a person with a disability and what those rights mean
The YLF will be June 20-24 2022 and "Delegates" will be selected through a competitive application process. Please follow the instructions below to complete the application process.
To receive full consideration, your completed application must be submitted or postmarked by April 15, 2022.
- • Apply online: Online Application
• Mail to: WVSILC, P.O. Box 625, Institute, WV 25112-0625
• Fax to: 304-766-4721
• E-mail to: email@example.com - subject: YLF Application
• Download PDF: PDF Application or MS Word Document: MS Word Application
Instructions for Application:
*You may use or request assistance and accommodations to complete this packet.
- • Please type or print with black ink.
- • Please make certain your application packet is complete. *All questions must be answered and required attachments provided. Please submit application and all attachments at the same time if possible. Incomplete packets will not be considered.
- • Applicants selected to be Delegates will attend the YLF at no cost.
Required Items Checklist:
Completed application form
Essay (response to five questions)
YLF will be held virtually June 20-24, 2022
Selected delegates will be provided with an iPad or similar device, preloaded with materials and resources for YLF as well as other materials, resources, fund items and a YLF t-shirt.
Your “YLF in a Box” will arrive well before the virtual event so you will have time to look things over, try out your device and be ready to go on June 20th.
All delegates will be provided with a Zoom link to use for all the sessions and activities.
The WV Statewide Independent Living Council is committed to providing the highest degree of accessibility possible when conducting the YLF and all other activities. During YLF events, a sign language interpreter and captioning are available and will provided upon advance request.
All materials distributed during the YLF by staff, presenters, or Delegates must be available in ALL requested accessible formats including large print, electronic, audio, and Braille.
Please indicate your need for an interpreter, captioning, and/or accessible formats for your personal use on the application form.
The West Virginia Statewide Independent Living Council is the primary sponsor of the YLF, supported by a grant from the West Virginia Division of Rehabilitation Services.
Additional YLF Sponsors include:
West Virginia Developmental Disabilities Council
West Virginia American Water
WVU Center for Excellence in Disabilities
Maroney, Williams, Weaver & Pancake PLLC
Zerbe and Pence PLLC
New Cumberland Lion's Club
West Virginia Independence Network
Stipend funds are being made available to people with developmental disabilities through funds from the WV Developmental Disabilities Council.
Other sponsors are also being recruited and all sponsors will be recognized in the program and at the YLF.
- • Please type or print with black ink.